Lemongrass Panna Cotta
Lemongrass Panna Cotta with golden kiwi gelee
Serves about 3-4 tasting portions
For the panna cotta
7 fluid ounces heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered gelatin + 1-1/2 teaspoons water
45 grams (0.225 cup) granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Teatulia® lemongrass tea
For the golden kiwi gelee
1 fresh golden kiwi (or regular kiwi), peeled and diced
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon gelatin + 1 teaspoon water
1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar (depending upon how the sweetness of the kiwi)
To make the panna cotta
1. Bloom the gelatin in a small bowl by adding 1-1/2 teaspoons water. Set aside. It should look like an hard, translucent yellow gel.
2. While waiting for the gelatin to bloom, heat the heavy cream and sugar together in a small saucepan until it starts to simmer. Add the lemongrass tea and cover. Set aside for at least 1 hour to steep.
3. Strain the cream and tea mixture into a large clean bowl. Discard the tea leaves. Pour the strained lemongrass tea cream mixture back into the saucepan and reheat until barely simmering. Take off the pan from the heat and add the bloomed gelatin (from step 1) and stir with a whisk until it completely dissolves.
4. Take your dessert glasses (I used stemless Champagne flutes, shot glass, and a miniature version of the highball glass) and carefully add the warmed lemongrass tea cream mixture*.
To make the kiwi gelee:
5. Bloom the gelatin like step 1. Set aside for 3-5 minutes.
6. Place the kiwi, water and sugar into a clean saucepan. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves and turn off the flame. Place the heated mixture into a blender and purée until smooth. Pour the puréed kiwi into a small bowl and stir in the bloomed gelatin (from step 5). When cooled to about room temperature, pour the kiwi mixture into the panna cotta glasses and refrigerate until set (about 1-2 hours). Serve and enjoy.
*Note: If you want to create multiple layers like I have, stop about a third way up the glass and refrigerate (or freeze to make it faster) until set. Pour in your slightly warmed kiwi gelée mixture and place it back in to the refrigerator until set. Add the remaining re-warmed lemongrass tea cream mixture and let set inside the fridge. Finally top it with your remaining re-warmed kiwi gelée mixture. Refrigerate until set (about 1-2 hours). Serve and enjoy.